Home News Health

Child Swallows Abaya Pin

An 18-month-old toddler's life hangs
An 18-month-old toddler's life hangs

Tamim, an 18-month-old toddler, faced a life-threatening situation when he accidentally swallowed a 5cm-long abaya pin, which led to a perforated intestine and a pierced liver. The severity of the situation became evident to Tamim's parents after nearly 48 hours when they noticed his distress. The toddler required urgent medical attention and underwent critical surgery to remove the lodged pin at Thumbay University Hospital, Ajman. Dr. Mufique Gajdhar, a pediatric surgeon, and his team performed a laparotomy procedure to remove the sharp pin and repair the damaged intestine and liver. This incident highlights the importance of childproofing, vigilant supervision, and age-appropriate toys to prevent such accidents. Parents are urged to seek immediate medical help if a child swallows a foreign object and to refrain from attempting extraction themselves.

The incident involving Tamim serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers that small objects can pose to young children. Swallowing foreign objects is a common occurrence among toddlers and can lead to serious health risks. In this case, the sharp abaya pin posed a significant threat to Tamim's health, as it not only caused a perforation in his intestine but also pierced his liver, creating the potential for life-threatening complications.

The critical nature of the situation became evident when Tamim began exhibiting signs of distress, including persistent crying and clutching his belly. His parents initially consulted doctors at a nearby medical facility, who promptly advised them to seek the expertise of a pediatric surgeon. It was only through a CT scan at Thumbay University Hospital that the exact location of the lodged pin was identified.

Dr. Mufique Gajdhar and his medical team at Thumbay University Hospital in Ajman played a pivotal role in saving Tamim's life. They performed a laparotomy surgery to remove the pin and address the damage it had caused. The procedure involved carefully exploring Tamim's abdominal organs to locate and extract the sharp pin. Additionally, the surgeon repaired the perforated part of Tamim's duodenum (a section of the intestine) and assessed and addressed any potential damage to the liver.

Child safety and prevention of such incidents are of paramount importance. Dr. Gajdhar emphasized the need for childproofing and vigilant supervision, especially when dealing with small objects. He cautioned against providing children under the age of three with toys that contain small parts and highlighted the importance of securely fastened battery covers on battery-operated toys.

Dr. Gajdhar also urged parents to seek immediate medical attention if a child experiences unexpected choking or wheezing, as these symptoms could indicate the inhalation or ingestion of a foreign object. Parents play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and well-being of their children, and educating them about the dangers of swallowing foreign items is essential.

Incidents of young children swallowing foreign objects are not uncommon. Hospitals in the UAE have reported numerous cases of children ingesting various items, including chemicals, magnet balls, and small electronic objects. In many cases, these incidents result in severe damage to a child's digestive system. Common objects that children swallow include batteries, magnets, nails, and chicken bones.

Preventing such incidents requires a combination of supervision, childproofing the home environment, providing age-appropriate toys, and ensuring that small objects are safely stored away from children's reach. It is essential for parents to remain vigilant and act swiftly if their child swallows a foreign object, refraining from attempting to remove it themselves and seeking professional medical assistance.

The story of Tamim serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of child safety and the need for continuous education and awareness among parents and caregivers. By taking preventive measures and responding promptly to such incidents, parents can help protect their children from potentially life-threatening situations.

For More Related News Please Visit Our Official Website

By- Sahiba Suri


By: Sahiba Suri